We had a lot of good things going for BSU in the UNLV game. Rypien is looking more mature week after week, the O-line is looking less leaky, Thompson breaks the MWC interception record, we debuted Halloween uniforms, etc.
I didn't have time to write my knee-jerk reactions article, so I'll just list a few here:
- I didn't expect UNLV to score as much as they did. (I think coach Tony Sanchez is really turning things around for them!)
- Rypien fakes a handoff like a prestidigitator!
- pres·ti·dig·i·ta·tion (prĕs′tĭ-dĭj′ĭ-tā′shən) n.
- McNichols' fumble for a UNLV TD really did seem to be a turning point for them.
- I noticed Kelsey Young played for the next offensive series. (And did well!)
- ...But after McNichols sat a spell, he came back angry, and UNLV didn't like him when he's angry.
- It's good to see my man Yakoo back on the field!
- Vallejo, Frazier: Take the week off and also a few Tylenol.
- Loved the Sperbeck wildcat formations.
- Speaking of which, he's a pretty good running back and quarterback!
- ...which probably explains the few drops he had (he forgot to also be a receiver on those plays).
- Rypien should have a touchdown dance ready for his receiving touchdowns. Suggestions?
- I was so glad we didn't take our foot off the pedal in the 4th. Forget mercy... I like 40-yard plays (in the ground or in the air)!
- I didn't mean forget "Mercy," although if he keeps sitting out for undisclosed reasons, we might. Keep that name active on the roster, kiddo!
- What in the world will I write about for two weeks?
I hate the feeling of examining what it is that contributed to a loss the week after. I honestly must say that I think UNLV has the potential to be a conference contender these next few years, and they made the right hire with former high school coach Tony Sanchez. The guy knows gridiron.
Maybe by then we'll be playing in the Big XII and it won't matter.
4 in the AP, 7 in the Coaches. (Not that it will matter with Memphis, Houston, Toledo, and Temple [?], still ranked in the top 25.) I just want to play in the MWC championship game, and that might require Utah State losing to New Mexico, Nevada, Air Force, BYU, or All Of The Above Except Maybe BYU. Speaking of whom...
In a loss that we'll just call "The Flail Mary," BYU lost to Boise State's swimming team behind junior Brittany Aoyama's four wins (three individual, one relay).
In a related story, nobody got punched in the love cluster.
Have you ever wanted to create fun Photoshop images to paste into the comments section, but don't have Photoshop? My kids introduced me to Pixlr, a free online knockoff of Photoshop (that works just about the same)!
Just an update on the job interview: I got the job, so thanks for all the support! I'm trying to reconcile my new schedule with my writing schedule, so bear with me until I figure it all out.