So, the Broncos haven't "quite" received the post-Fiesta Bowl recruiting bounce that some expected...and in fact, have had only bad recruiting news since the new year (missing out on Austin Joyner and Dahu Green and losing the commitment of CB Marnez Ogletree namely). But there are still a few weeks left in recruiting season to round out the last few spots and here's a big positive: star recruits Brett Rypien and Kam Miles are already on campus. So, with the so-called "dead period" ending tomorrow and precious few spots left in the 2015 recruiting class...how will the coaching staff wrap this thing up? What areas do we need to attack (besides the future)? First, here are the guys who've already given their verbal pledges to the Broncos:
- Garrett Larson, OL, Fruitland HS, Fruitland, ID
- Brett Rypien, QB, Shadle Park HS, Spokane, WA (already enrolled)
- Akilian Butler, WR, West Mesquite HS, Mesquite, TX
- LaDarryl Blair, DB, South Oak Cliff HS, Dallas, TX
- Damion Wright, S, Salesian HS, Los Angeles, CA
- Bryan Jefferson, WR, Leesburg HS, Leesburg, FL
- Drew Berger, LB, Couer d'Alene HS, Couer d'Alene, ID
- John Molchon, OL, Faith Lutheran HS, Las Vegas, NV
- Ben Moa, DT, Grossmont Community College, San Diego, CA
- Kam Miles, S, Butler CC (KS) by way of West Mesquite HS (already enrolled)
- Raymond Sheard, RB, Arlington HS, Arlington, TX
- Evan Tyler, S, Roosevelt HS, Corona, CA
- Matt Pistone, TE, Yuma Catholic, Yuma, AZ
- Tyler Horton, DB, Edison HS, Fresno, CA (*rumored)
So, that's 13 confirmed commits for the 2015 class with a rumored 14th and most put Boise State's 2015 haul in the 16 to 17 range. The loss of Jay Ajayi to the NFL draft and the dismissal of Mat Boesen could also add scholarships back into the mix (if those aren't absorbed by walk-on athletes).
The Broncos return a LOAD of guys next season and don't have any glaring needs that can't be fixed with the current roster, however, we do find ourselves needing to look past 2015 when the Broncos will lose a load of talent and production at key spots. Most of the immediate needs and near-future needs have already been addressed with the current crop of commits, but spots remain nonetheless. Looking at how razor-thin the safety spot was at the end of the year with injuries to Jeremy Ioane, Taylor Loffler, Dillon Lukehart and Chanceller James, for instance, lends credence to the number of DBs that are currently in the hopper and being pursued for 2015.
If you want a hint as to where the Broncos may be looking with their last few scholarships, the visit list isn't a bad place to start. This weekend, the Broncos will host one-time Utah CB commit Donzale Roddie. Next weekend they'll be paid visits by lanky WR (and another one-time Utah commit) George Wilson and LB Riley Whimpey (worth noting: Whimpey is likely headed on a mission, so his scholarship may be deferred for 2 years...still leaving an immediate spot).
What say you?
The Broncos are loaded right now, but in 2016, will need bodies. Whether the help is immediate or not, how do you think we round out the class of 2015?