I say lavish because I feel like the linebackers are really the Mercedes or BMW of defensive positions. Its gotta be the high life, sitting back and playing the pass or coming up to crack the quarterback. Sigh, a man can dream of such glorious choices. Join me now as we take a more in depth look at what to expect at the Linebacker/Nickel position coming your way this August 31st.
(And so begins the tradition of position previews. We love traditions at OBNUG. Other traditions may include, but are not limited to: Dairy Queen Blizzards, hating anything Vandal, and Spell Check. Next Up: The Serendipitous Safeties and Corners.)
|36||Gray, Tyler||LB||6-4||227||Fr.||Templeton, Calif. (Templeton HS)|
|56||Kamper, Dustin||LB||6-1||217||RJr.||Meridian, Idaho (Nampa Christian HS)|
|48||Percy, J.C.||LB||6-0||227||RSr.||Blackfoot, Idaho (Blackfoot HS)|
|31||Pint, Andrew||LB||6-1||215||Fr.||Highlands Ranch, Colo. (Valor Christian HS)|
|13||Renaud, Blake||LB||6-2||239||So.||Concord, Calif. (De La Salle HS)|
|45||Saxton, Travis||LB||6-1||221||RSo.||Star, Idaho (Eagle HS)|
|33||Smith, Tommy||LB||6-1||238||RSr.||Atlanta, Ga. (North Atlanta HS)|
|51||Weaver, Ben||LB||6-0||226||Fr.||Klein, Texas (Klein HS)|
|38||Bell, Corey||N||5-11||206||So.||Boise, Idaho (Capital HS)|
|32||Brown, Jonathan||N||5-10||211||RJr.||Alameda, Calif. (Encinal HS)|
|49||Richardson, Hilton||N||6-2||217||RFr.||Kirkland, Wash. (Lake Washington HS)|
|25||Santini, Christopher||N||5-11||220||Fr.||San Jose, Calif. (Leland HS)|
|6||Simmons, Dextrell||N||5-11||200||RSr.||Houston, Texas (Blinn JC) (Westfield HS)|
- Favorite Quote: "Dude, where's my car?" -Dude where's my car?
- Favorite Song: "Somebody that I used to know." -Gotye
- Favorite Movie: The Little Mermaid. "That movie has the most incredible soundtrack EVER." -J.C. Percy
- Favorite Quote: "Giggity." -Quagmire
- Favorite Song: "Eenie Meenie." -Justin Bieber ft. Sean Kingston
- Favorite Movie: Shrek. "The original. As if there was a sequel." -Tommy Smith
- Favorite Quote: Anything by Carson Daley
- Favorite Song: Genie in a bottle. -Christina Aguilera
- Favorite Movie: Avatar. "Man I wanna visit Pandora." -Dextrell Simmons
I'm not worried. At all. Well, I'm worried about quarterback play, but that was like 5 previews ago, so it's definitely not plaguing my mind anymore...I believe our defense will be the stars of the 2012 season. As the saying goes, "Defense Wins Championships," I have no doubt that we will get the big stops when we need them the most. Look for continually crazy schemes as defensive coaches and coordinators look to confuse our opponents as much as possible.
How do you think our linebackers and nickels will play? Are you worried? Are you confident? Is it possible that our defense will cause more turnovers in one game than New Mexico will score points? Sound off!