The best take on the Wyoming football team can only come from a Wyoming football fan. And guess what? I found one! Matt from SB Nation's Cowboy Altitude blog did us the honor of breaking down the Cowboys-Broncos game from a Wyoming perspective in a Q&A with OBNUG.
Qs and As are after the jump, including Matt's keys to victory or defeat for the Cowboys. Plus, more blog bets. If BSU wins, I'll try to keep it coherent this time.
Cowboy Altitude is one of SB Nation's newest college blogs. Go say hi.
1. Describe your team's season to date in 100 words or less. "Brownie earthquake" must be two of those words.
A season of ups and downs and still waiting for that breakout game. Should have defeated Southern Utah by more than 8 points. Glad that we hung with Texas for awhile and didn't create a "brownie earthquake" in our pants. Losing Ruben Narcisse who was killed a car accident on Labor Day was very painful. Pissed at BYU.
2. If Boise State could pick one player from your team to come play with them, who would it be? If you could pick one Boise State player to go play for your team, who would it be? Explain.
I'm sure your kickoff specialist is good but you need Oliver Schober, the German-born middle linebacker with the thunder foot. He is 23 years old and from Munich; early in camp he said he wanted to try kickoffs and has the leg to put the ball eight yards deep in the endzone. He is a beast and not your typical kicker.
Our defensive line needs a big boost in the middle. Based on having a sweet name I'd have to go with DT Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe. But Billy Winn or Chase Baker are starters, so either one will be fine.
3. Imagine for a moment that your team is ESPN's college football coverage. What part is Ron Franklin and what part is Pam Ward?
Our obvious strength is our sweet uniforms. It takes real cajones to wear Brown and Gold. I'd say coaching is our strong point here in year two under Coach Christensen. He has instilled discipline and a great work ethic for the team. The personnel is still starting to catch up to the system, but we are getting there.
The huge weakness right now is missed tackles. That nearly cost the first game against Southern Utah and made the Texas game tough to contend.
4. Name three keys to victory for your team. Name one key to certain defeat.
- Turnovers - Still waiting on getting that first interception or fumble return from the defense. No turnovers against Texas helped the offense.
- Running game - We've been pass heavy and can't get any yards on the ground. Need to get better blocking from the O line to create running lanes.
- Tackling - Tackle the ballcarrier the first time.
Defeat = Missed tackles. Can't give a team like Boise any second chances.
5. On a scale of boy bands, with O*Town being not at all and N*Snync being supremely, how confident are you that your team will win on Saturday?
I would have to say we are at a solid confidence level of Menudo. So judge for yourself what that qualifies as...
Bonus question: Who were you rooting for in the Boise State - Virginia Tech game?
Boise all the way. Glad to have them in confernce. Too bad BYU had to mess everything up.
The Blog Bet
Cowboy Altitude has graciously agreed to take part in a blog bet with OBNUG for this week's game - winning team's blog gets a free post on the losing team's blog. If you are new to the blog bet, jump back in time a week and see how I paid up over at Virginia Tech's Gobbler Country. Or jump back in time a couple years and read the Oregon blog bet from 2008.
Good luck to Cowboy Altitude and the Wyoming football team, and I do not mean that at all.