When Titus Young was suspended for the Bowling Green game, we joked that it was because he fumbled too much the week before.
When Young was suspended for the Southern Miss game, we laughed nervously that it was probably nothing and he'll be back next week.
When word came down earlier today that Young's suspension will last at least the next two games and maybe more, we threw a fit in our office, using our inside voice and a box of No. 2 pencils. We actually felt a little better afterward.
Young provides the Boise State offense with a certain element of risk and explosiveness that is hard to replace. The Broncos have struggled at times without him this season, but then again, they have struggled with him, too. The bottom line is that it would be nice to have one of your best offensive weapons when you're trying to fix a hit-or-miss offense.
And it would be nice to know what is going on with Young, too. Even though it's none of our business, we like to think that it is very much our business. After all, we have a blog and stuff.
Instead, we get stuck deciphering Statesman quotes from Coach Pete, like this non-descriptive one:
"He's just got to figure out how to do things like we want them done around here,'' coach Chris Petersen said.
The Statesman isn't helping matters any with quotes like these. Where's the emphasis? Where's the descriptive adjectives and adverbs? Where's the picture-painting? If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself, which is why we added our own emphasis, descriptions, and context to Coach Pete's quote. Hopefully, this will clear matters up a little bit.
- "He's just GOT to figure out how to do things like we want them done around here," an exasperated Coach Pete said, throwing his hands up in the air as if to say, "Titus Young is suspended for crank calling Bob Kustra."
- "He's just got to figure out HOW to do things like we want them done around here," Coach Pete said, suggesting that perhaps the issue with Young is not a matter of following the rules but understanding what the rules are.
- "He's just got to figure out how to do THINGS like we want them done around here," said Coach Pete, using the euphemism "things" to refer to "stealing Vinny Perretta's touches."
- "He's just got to figure out how to do things like WE want them done around here," Coach Pete said, pointing specifically to Bryan Harsin, Kellen Moore, the Bronco statue, Butch Otter, the Idaho Powerball mascot, OBNUG's Nick, and himself.
- "He's just got to figure out how to do things like we want them done around HERE," said Coach Pete, gesturing towards the US Bank across the street where Young has yet to claim his Cash Back Rewards Bonus card despite the fact that he uses the card for purchases at local grocery stores and gas stations where the rewards are double.
There. Wasn't that easier?
Read more: Boise State receiver Titus Young suspended [Statesman]