I was disappointed that he left and not surprised at the same time. Washington is getting a great coach and so are my Boise State Broncos.
Here is my view...I want Dirk Koetter.
1. Homegrown. He is from payette idaho. Played qb at capital hs. Idaho state qb. Coached at highland hs. Coached bsu a cpl years with 2 ten win seasons. He knows the area and what a great city Boise is to raise a family.
2. Credentials.I'm sure we all know them by now. PAC 12, NFL Coach/OC.
3. Network. He is one the great offensive football minds in the NFL. Remember, we r talking professional football. Yes he coached the jaguars but its the experience and knowledge gained from the NFL that has me salivating. With his extensive network he could assemble a staff that could rival some of the best in college football. Jimmy lakes was a db coach for the buccaneers before he came to Boise state two years ago and we have been putting a lot of dbs into the NFL for a while now. I see that trend continuing.
4. Recruits. Yes we have lost several very good recruits that we worked hard to get. Its about the kids and their education first and foremost. If they want to go and be coached by one of the great life teachers there is, then I don't blame them. It hurts but I always say its darkest before dusk...and I truly believe the sun will be rising soon. If dirk koetter is hired he has a good footprint in the PAC 12 recruiting area and the talent may be just as good or maybe even better. He has the NFL knowledge and that is a great recruiting tool to have in your belt when ur getting these kids.
5. Foundation.Coach Pete left us in a great situation. Possibly even a gift. Stadium expansion. New sound system. New video board. New football complex and facilities that rival the best in college football. Whoever inherits this job will have the keys to the white house so to speak. If kustra and coyle are smart they won't just give those keys away. I like Harsin don't get me wrong but if we don't have to spend money then why do it? I'm all for the coach Pete coaching tree and keeping it in the bronco family. Why not koetter? Imagine what he could bring to Boise.