I've modified the poll to swing towards my new poll changes this year. Last year, I collected points (as requested by OBNUG) and sorted ties with strength of schedule. However, since I've implemented the margin of victory and that MOV was weighted by SOS, I figured it would make much more sense to sort by the weighted MOV.
It's still week 3 so we're still not seeing too much to identify how the teams are set apart from each other. The Loque Poll is as follows:
Base: Points awarded based off win percentage. This is factored to not hurt teams playing either 12 or 14 games.
WORT: Wins over ranked teams. "Ranked" means teams above a certain win percentage, not their place in the polls.
MOV: Margin of victory weighted against opponent strength of schedule. Actual MOV also averages margin of loss.
A few things to observe from this poll (which is the main reason I created it):
- Stanford's opponents have only lost games to Stanford, placing them in the top spot. Believe it or not, San Jose State is one of those teams.
- Alabama will be the clear-cut leader throughout the season. The only reason they're not ranked ahead of Stanford? Arkansas is sub-.500.
- A clear top 5. Stanford, Alabama, Arizona, Iowa State and Notre Dame lead the top 5 rankings. I would say the only question mark here is Iowa State, which we don't know much about. Leaving LSU out of the mix is all their fault -- for scheduling Idaho. Weighted SOS hurts them because there is no MOV when defeating a win-less team (Idaho). Bob Kustra is a genius!
- Florida State being ranked so high is Wake Forest's fault. Starting the season against two Div 1AA teams really soured my opinion of them, but they played a vanilla offense against Wake Forest ans still hung 52 on them. The MOV against the previous 2 FCS teams: 6.05.
- Sadly, Idaho is not the worst team in Div 1A. They're the 4th worst.
Again, your thoughts and comments are appreciated below. Any input errors (incorrect win/loss record) found will also help me.