The Boise State Quarterback Conundrum: Coming soon to a stadium near you. Unless you live in Moscow. Yuck.
The BSU quarterback race is hot as ever, or at least the hottest it has been in four solid years. Joe Southwick is the alleged heir apparent to the Kellen Moore throne. However, noobs Nick Nack Patti Wack, Jimmy Dark Horse Laughrea, and Grant Gonna' Transfer Soon Hedrick look to unseat the would-be Jedi Mind-Tricker.
(And so begins the age-old tradition of position previews. We love traditions at OBNUG. Other traditions may include, but are not limited to: Dairy Queen Blizzards, Hating anything Vandal, and Spell Check. Next up: The RB Rascals.)
|9||Hedrick, Grant||QB||6-0||191||RSo.||Independence, Ore. (Central HS)|
|14||Laughrea, Jimmy||QB||6-1||201||RFr.||Rocklin, Calif. (Rocklin HS)|
|8||Patti, Nick||QB||5-10||189||Fr.||Orlando, Fla. (Dr. Phillips HS)|
Danville, Calif. (San Ramon Valley HS)
- Favorite Quote: "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." -Steve Martin
- Favorite Song: "Call Me, Maybe." -Carly Rae Jepsen
- Favorite Movie: "Cast Away." That Wilson guy sure is a hoot. - Joe Southwick
List of Offenses: College Career Statistics
23-for-30, 198 yards, 76.7% comp., 6.6 yards/att, 1 TD, 1 INT, 136 QB rating
- Favorite Quote: "I'm not a hater, I just crush a lot." -Fat Joe
- Favorite Song: "Old McDonald Had a Farm" -Children Everywhere
- Favorite Movie: "The Buttercream Gang." Those. Guys. Are. Awesome. -Nick Patti
List of Offenses: High school senior year statistics
141-for-257, 54% comp., 2,114 yards, 23 TD, 7 INT, long of 75, 101 QB rating
79 carries, 626 yards, 7.9 avg, 7 TD, long of 80
Nick Patti comes into Boise State as one of the most highly recruited quarterbacks in school history. An Elite 11 quarterback, finalist for National Gatorade Player of the Year, and Mr. Football in Florida, Patti brings a dynamic to the Boise State offense that we have not seen in a long time: he can run.
While Joe Southwick took the majority of snaps at the spring game with the first team offense, Nick Patti had arguably the most exciting play of the entire game.
Coach Pete seems to think quite highly of Patti, which goes a long way in my book. Will Bronco Nation agree?
Next Up: Jimmy Dark Horse Laughrea
- Favorite Quote: "Milk was a bad choice." -Ron Burgundy
- Favorite Song: "Thong Song." -Sisqo
- Favorite Movie: "I don't watch movies." -Jimmy Laughrea
List of Offenses: High school senior year stats
174-for-290, 60% comp., 2,527 yards, 22 TDs, 10 INTs, long of 78, 99 QB rating
45 carries, 327 yards, 7.3 avg, 6 TDs, long of 72
Jimmy Laughrea also comes into Boise State as an Elite 11 quarterback. A fantastic high school career in Rocklin, California brought Jimmy to the Blue with hopes of being a starting quarterback. Unfortunately for Jimmy, his progress has been somewhat stymied by the likes of Joe Southwick and other young quarterbacks.
Although 2011 was Jimmy's redshirt season, he was still able to claim the Offensive Scout Player of the Year - not an easy task by any means.
- Favorite Quote: "I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink." -Joe E. Lewis
- Favorite Song: "Cant touch this." -M.C. Hammer
- Favorite Movie: Twilight: New Moon. Those werewolves are awesome. -Grant Hedrick
List of Offenses: Career statistics
2-for3, 19 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 119.9 QB rating
Grant carries the tradition of prolific high school quarterbacks recruited by the Broncos. A few notable high school stats include:
- State record for most combined yards: 11,230
- State record for most combined TD's: 145
- A senior year where he threw for 2,500 yards, 34 touchdowns, and only 1 INT.
The QB race is wide open. No matter how many think Southwick is the next in line, I know Coach Pete does not follow a timeline of seniority or tenure. Therefore, guys like Patti, Laughrea, and Hedrick all have a fair shot at being the number 1 come August 31. With all different styles and levels of talent and experience, Pete definitely has a difficult decision ahead of him: what kind of blizzard do I get today? And secondly: who will be the starter for Michigan State?
Sound off in the comments as to your QB predictions and cast your vote in the QB Conundrum Poll below. This poll is in regards to who you WANT to be the starter, NOT who you think will be the starter. Sound off, Bronco Nation!