Behold the Boise State football depth chart for the Michigan State game. It's as official as it gets until Chris Petersen decides to change it all one hour before kickoff.
- QB: Joe Southwick, Grant Hedrick, Jimmy Laughrea
- RB: D.J. Harper, Drew Wright
- FB: Dan Paul, Chandler Koch
- X receiver: Matt Miller, Aaron Burks
- Z receiver: Mitch Burroughs, Troy Ware
- Slot receiver: Kirby Moore, Chris Potter
- TE: Gabe Linehan OR Chandler Koch, Holden Huff
- LT: Charles Leno, Faraji Wright
- LG: Joe Kellogg, Marcus Henry
- C: Matt Paradis, Spencer Gerke
- RG: Michael Ames, Brenel Myers
- RT: Jake Broyles, Rees Odhiambo
- DE: Tyler Horn OR Demarcus Lawrence
- NT: Mike Atkinson, Greg Grimes
- DT: Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe, Darren Koontz
- Stud end: Beau Martin OR Sam Ukwuachu
- MLB: Tommy Smith, Blake Renaud
- WLB: J.C. Percy, Tyler Gray
- N: Dextrell Simmons, Corey Bell OR Jonathan Brown
- CB: Jamar Taylor, Ebo Makinde
- CB: Jerrell Gavins, Bryan Douglas
- S: Jeremy Ioane, Hazen Moss
- S: Lee Hightower, Darian Thompson
- K: Michael Frisina, Dan Goodale
- P: Trevor Harman, Dan Goodale
- KO: Trevor Harman, Dan Goodale
- KR: D.J. Harper, Mitch Burroughs
- PR: Mitch Burroughs OR Chris Potter
- Snapper: Chris Roberson, Kevin Keane
Now for some news and notes and wild speculation:
Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski promised a defensive end rotation that could see as many as five guys (Lawrence, Martin, Ukwuachu, Horn, and Kahryee Marshall) shuffling in and out. The same wil not be true at defensive tackle. Greg Grimes and Darren Koontz will play, at the whim of Coach K and not by some predetermined line shift strategy.
I find it strange not to see Faraji Wright's name in the starting lineup, but that just speaks to the depth and competition on the Bronco O-line this fall. Chris Strausser plans on throwing eight or more linemen out there, so it's not like Wright won't play. Don't be surprised to see redshirt freshman Marcus Henry and perhaps even former Fiesta Bowl star-in-the-making Brenel Myers.
The infamous ORs are few and far between on the depth chart. The aforementioned defensive end spots are ORs, but besides that, tight end is the only other spot to be a job share and that job share is more like a difference in job descriptions: Gabe Linehan catches passes OR Chandler Koch blocks.
What will the Broncos do with speedy true freshman receiver/returner Shane Williams-Rhodes? There is no wrong answer. I think he'll have a screen pass or two thrown his way.
What did you notice about the Boise State depth chart? What spots stood out? Any surprises? Share your thoughts in the comments.