For your day planners and social calendars ...
- When to watch: Friday, August 31, 6:00 p.m. MT kickoff
- Where to watch: Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, Mich. (Capacity: 75,005)
- How to watch: Live on ESPN with Carter Blackburn, Rod Gilmore, and Jemele Hill
- What to wager: Boise State by 7.5 points
- What to wear: A t-shirt. Forecast calls for sunny skies, high of 97
- How to score tickets: The ticket black market has seats starting at $73
Drama-filled storylines in Friday's game
Both Boise State and Michigan State will be breaking in brand new starting quarterbacks in the deer-in-the-headlights forms of Joe Southwick and Andrew Maxwell. In addition, each team will field a bunch of replacements at other key positions like wide receiver for the Spartans and everywhere for the Broncos. I am exhausted just thinking about it.
I hate to call a season opener a must-win game, but everyone else seems to be doing so. If the Broncos win, they will be thrust face-first into the BCS's Neverending Story of hype. If BSU loses, well, that would make the Vegas Bowl pretty happy. There is similar pressure on Michigan State, although not the type that will make or break their postseason. The Spartans would like to start off on the right foot and make a statement against a team that is usually the statement maker in these scenarios.
Boise State has played David to bigger people's Goliaths in season openers for several years now, toppling Oregon, Virginia Tech, and Georgia. The lesson here: Do not give Chris Petersen extra time to prepare ... or if you do, at least take away most of his best players.
Football is back!
This is not so much a storyline as it is an expression of pure joy from my typing hands. I can't control them! They are too happy. Football! Touchdowns! Dairy Queen! House slippers!