BOISE, ID - NOVEMBER 26: Mitch Burroughs #20 of the Boise State Broncos runs the ball against the Wyoming Cowboys at Bronco Stadium on November 26, 2011 in Boise, Idaho. (Photo by Otto Kitsinger III/Getty Images)
The preseason Mountain West media poll is out, and Boise State is the favorite to win the conference. Well done, media. The only thing keeping the Broncos from being a unanimous choice were two first-place votes for Fresno State and one for San Diego State, the latter coming from a person who obviously failed to follow San Diego State's offseason.
Here is the full Mountain West preseason football poll. All hail our paper champions!
- Boise State (27 first-place votes), 296 points
- Nevada, 244
- Fresno State (2), 231
- Wyoming, 213
- San Diego State (1), 173
- Air Force, 170
- Hawaii, 116
- Colorado State, 111
- UNLV, 63
- New Mexico, 33
In addition to being named the team to beat in the Mountain West, the Broncos also took home the most preseason all-conference players (five) and the preseason Special Teams Player of the Year (Mitch Burroughs). The complete all-Mountain West preseason team and players of the year are after the jump.
(HT: ce-sped azul for being johnny-on-the-spot with a FanShot)
Mountain West preseason all-conference team
- QB Derek Carr, Fresno State
- RB Robbie Rouse, Fresno State
- RB Chris Nwoke, Colorado State
- WR Matt Miller, Boise State
- WR Colin Lockett, San Diego State
- TE Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
- OL Chris Barker, Nevada
- OL Joe Kellogg, Boise State
- OL Weston Richburg, Colorado State
- OL Nick Carlson, Wyoming
- OL Jeff Nady, Nevada
- DL Mike Purcell, Wyoming
- DL Mike Atkinson, Boise State
- DL Paipai Falemalu, Hawaii
- DL Jack Reynoso, Nevada
- LB Travis Brown, Fresno State
- LB Saquil Barrett, Colorado State
- LB Alex Means, Air Force
- DB Leon McFadden, San Diego State
- DB Duke Williams, Nevada
- DB Luke Ruff, Wyoming
- DB Jamar Taylor, Boise State
- P Pete Kontodiakos, Colorado State
- PK Parker Herrington, Air Force
- Ret. Mitch Burroughs, Boise State
Offensive player of the year: QB Derek Carr, Fresno
Defensive player of the year: CB Leon McFadden, SDSU
Special teams player of the year: PR/KR Mitch Burroughs, Boise State
- Judging by the number of points the Broncos received in the preseason poll, someone had them at No. 3. Begin filing FOIA paperwork, intern.
- This is the fifth straight year that the Broncos have been picked to win their conference. I forget how last year worked out.
- Chadd Cripe points out that Nevada plays the Top Five teams in the MW preseason poll (excluding themselves) at home. Their away schedule consists of all teams ranked sixth and worse.