SB Nation blog Cowboy Altitude is that rare jewel of non-BCS blogging, a loyal e-journal to a team that is often not very good. Where UNLV and New Mexico fans fail, Wyoming fans succeed. And they sound good doing it.
Needing Wyoming info and some funny Dave Christensen stories, I turned to Mr. Cowboy Altitude himself for some answers. Our Q&A is below.
1. If your team's season-to-date was a book, what book would it be and why?
50 Shades of Gloom.
If something could go wrong this year, it has. A series of narrow defeats, injuries to key players, and image-hurting public tirades. If this season was a fast food item, it would be a seven layer burrito from Taco Bell and every layer would be expired and undercooked meat that was just waiting to give you massive food poisoning.
There were hopes of contending for a Mountain West Championship and a bowl game. Those dreams are long gone.
2. Wyoming is ranked No. 84 in total offense and No. 101 in total defense. Is this too high, too low, or just right?
Both of those rankings are not what Wyoming needed or wanted.
The defense was ranked 98th last year and has regressed. Last year the defense was +12 in turnover and is even this year. Without the swing from those turnovers, the Pokes are losing the close games that they won last year.
The offense has struggled mightily without Brett Smith at QB. Jason Thompson did a great job in the first half of the Air Force game when he started. Other than that, the backups have not been able to do much with the offense, and that was a big factor in the loss to Cal Poly.
3. If you could pick any three people to watch the game with you, who would you choose?
- Dave Christensen - He isn't doing anything this weekend. I would buy him a beer and make a nice game day spread.
- Keith Jackson - I want him doing play by play in my house.
- Dan Rubenstein - It would be so fun to spend an afternoon watching college football with Dan. Just along as he doesn't spend the whole time on the phone talking to Ty. Texting is allowed.
4. Name three keys to victory for your team.
- Turnover Margin
- Montezuma's Revenge striking the Boise State defense
5. On a scale of beverages, with V8 juice being "not at all" and cherry Dr. Pepper being "supremely", how confident are you that your team will win on Saturday?
That stupid Dr. Pepper drink that is only for men.
BONUS: Word association.
- Kellen Moore - Horse
- Pop-Tarts - Only the fruit flavors are good.
- Blue turf - Not edibile.
- Dave Christensen - Misunderstood
- Dave Barry - Overrated
- Brett Smith - Competitive
- Brett "the Hitman" Hart - Sunglasses
- Laramie - Underappreciated
- Moon of Mars - Uhhh.... space.
- New Mexico Bowl - Green chili.
- Vegas Bowl - Needs to be bigger
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Too damn cold.
- Dogs in birthday hats - Offensive.
Good luck to Matt and the Cowboys, and I do not mean that at all.