For your day planners and social calendars ...
- When to watch: Saturday, October 5, 10:05 a.m. MT kickoff
- Where to watch: Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss. (Capacity: 36,000)
- How to watch: Live on ROOT Sports Northwest with Joel Meyers, Brian Baldinger, and Jim Knox
- What is a ROOT Sports Northwest: TV channel 25 on Cable One, channel 426 on Dish Network, and channel 687 on DirecTV
- What to wager: Boise State by 11 points
- What to wear: A blue t-shirt. Forecast calls for partly cloudy skies, high of 88, zero percent chance of precipitation
- How to score tickets: The ticket black market has seats starting at $11
Drama-filled storylines in Saturday's game
Early morning kickoff!
The Broncos and Golden Eagles play at the city-league-football time of 10:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, a time chosen by TV partner Fox Sports Net who stuck Boise State - Southern Miss opposite Saturday morning cartoons so it could show TCU vs. Iowa State and Miami (OH) vs. Cincinnati at normal, reasonable times of day
The last early morning Boise State game was a double overtime win at San Jose State in the first year of the Zabransky era. Jon Helmandollar had three rushing touchdowns before lunch that day, which tells you a) how incredibly old we all are that we remember Jon Helmandollar and b) how odd it is to play a college football game when most college students are not yet awake.
Fix my defense!
With the Boise State defense on the ropes following the Chinese water torture of New Mexico's triple option, along comes Southern Miss and its next-to-last-ranked offense with a warm washcloth and a fizzy water. Take a break from tackling, J.C. Percy. You've earned it.
Last week's 21-17 Southern Miss loss to Louisville was played in a Noah's Ark rainstorm, which may explain why the Golden Eagles completed a whopping two passes on the evening (also a possible explanation: that No. 123-ranked offense - see above). What does Mother Nature have in store for Hattiesburg this week? No deluges as of now.
Token humidity storyline!
Did you know that the South is humid? Mississippi is in the South.