Otto Kitsinger III
There are zero changes to this week's Boise State football depth chart, and hopefully my pointing this out did not just jinx everyone's ACLs for Saturday's game against UNLV. Everyone better wear knee braces just in case.
- QB: Joe Southwick, Grant Hedrick, Jimmy Laughrea
- RB: D.J. Harper, Jay Ajayi
- FB: Dan Paul, Connor Peters
- X receiver: Matt Miller, Aaron Burks
- Z receiver: Chris Potter, Dallas Burroughs
- Slot receiver: Kirby Moore, Geraldo Boldewijn
- TE: Chandler Koch, Holden Huff, Hayden Plinke
- LT: Charles Leno, Faraji Wright
- LG: Joe Kellogg, Marcus Henry
- C: Matt Paradis, Spencer Gerke
- RG: Spencer Gerke, Michael Ames
- RT: Brenel Myers, Rees Odhiambo
- DE: Demarcus Lawrence, Tyler Horn
- NT: Mike Atkinson, Greg Grimes
- DT: Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe, Darren Koontz
- Stud end: Sam Ukwuachu, Beau Martin OR Kharyee Marshall
- MLB: Tommy Smith, Blake Renaud
- WLB: J.C. Percy, Tyler Gray
- N: Dextrell Simmons, Corey Bell OR Jonathan Brown
- CB: Jamar Taylor, Ebo Makinde
- CB: Jerrell Gavins, Bryan Douglas
- S: Jeremy Ioane, Hazen Moss
- S: Lee Hightower, Darian Thompson
- K: Michael Frisina, Dan Goodale
- P: Trevor Harman, Dan Goodale
- KO: Trevor Harman, Dan Goodale
- Holder: Matt Miller, Joe Southwick
- KR: D.J. Harper, Dallas Burroughs
- PR: Chris Potter
- Snapper: Chris Roberson, Kevin Keane
Now for some news and notes and wild speculation:
When will Jack Fields' next carry be?
Fields has gone carry-less in three of Boise State's six games and has four total carries in the past four games (all four carries came against Southern Miss). Chris Petersen did not burn his redshirt for nothing, nor did he burn it for garbage time carries - I hope. My bet is that the one-two punch of D.J. Harper and Jay Ajayi adds a one-two-and-a-half dimension this week.
When will Boise State's next MW Player of the Week be?
Boise State has had one - count 'em, one - conference player of the week, and it was a co- one at that. D.J. Harper's four touchdowns a month ago versus Miami (OH) were good enough to share offensive player honors for that week, and it has been nothing but attaboys since then for the nationally-ranked Broncos. Someone on defense is due, if not the defense as a whole - like some sort of lifetime achievement award. Make it happen, Herr Hair Thompson.
Wanna hear a joke?
UNLV is ranked 30 spots higher than Boise State in total offense. It's funny because it's true! The Running Rebels average over 400 yards per game, good for 58th nationally, and Boise State averages 370 yards, good for 88th. This is the part of the joke where I point out that the Broncos have the inverse of UNLV's win-loss record.
D.J. Harper is the 44th leading rusher in the country. Believe it or not, there are six MW rushers ahead of him, including UNLV's Tim Cornett who has almost a full 200 yards more. That gap should narrow significantly this weekend.
J.C. Percy is a tackling machine. He averages nearly 10 tackles per game and has double the tackles of the next nearest Bronco, Tommy Smith (34 to 69).