Ed's note: Leaking Phil Steele information is the new planking. Everyone's doing it, from ESPN blogger Andrea Adelson to Mountain West tycoon Jeremy Mauss. So far we know that Boise State is ranked No. 3 and destined for a Fiesta Bowl with Notre Dame. But that is just the tip of the iceberg.
The rest of the iceberg is after the jump, courtesy of OBNUG reader killtacular and his stellar FanPost that is now a stellar main post. If you enjoy your Phil Steele magazines like you enjoy your Hunger Games novels - suspenseful and uncorrupted - you should probably stop reading here. Spoilers ahead. Enjoy.
Here is the complete rundown, by team, unit, and individual. Parts of this Boise State preview will appear at Steele's website today when he unveils the Broncos in his Top 25 countdown.
Boise State team rankings
Projection for end-of-season rankings: Boise State #3. Behind Alabama and Oklahoma.
Other notables: Georgia #9; TCU #11; Air Force #30; Tulsa #35; San Diego State #44; Nevada #51. This means that, unlike last year, Steele is predicting a BSU undefeated season, and he is higher on a possible NC shot for BSU this year than he was last year.
Power Poll ranking: Boise State #4
Other notables: Georgia #11; TCU #21; Tulsa #39; San Diego State #60. This is more or less Steele's overall quality ranking. The team that sneaks up above BSU at #3? Oregon.
Bowl Projection: Fiesta Bowl (again), against Notre Dame.
Now, while you might scoff at Notre Dame, this isn't that crazy. If Notre Dame gets BCS-eligible, they will absolutely be selected. I dunno how they are going to do against Michigan, Michigan State, USF, Pitt, Air Force, USC and Stanford (etc). But this is a "this is who the bowls will pick" choice, which I suppose could make sense. If Notre Dame gets 9 wins, they are probably going to a BCS bowl.
(ed's note: Notre Dame is BCS eligible if they finish ranked No. 14 or higher. If they are No. 8 or higher, they automatically qualify.)
Other bowl projections: Capital One Bowl: Georgia vs Ohio State (pre Tresselgate); Poinsettia Bowl: Nevada vs Air Force; Hawai'i Bowl: Hawai'i vs SMU; Armed Forces Bowl: Tulsa vs BYU; Las Vegas Bowl: TCU vs Oregon State; Independence Bowl: San Diego State vs Boston College;
Mountain West order of finish
- Boise State
- Air Force
- Colorado State
- San Diego State
- New Mexico
Mountain West national stat projections for Boise State: Scoring Offense: #3. Total Offense: #9. Pass Defense: #6. Scoring Defense: #4. Total Defense #3.
Schedule: 51st Toughest Schedule.
Other notables: Georgia: #53; Tulsa #56; Fresno State #79; Nevada #89; TCU #92; Idaho #97; Air Force #99; Hawai'i #115.
Boise State unit rankings
- QBs: #2 (behind Stanford)
- RBs: #23
- Recievers: Unranked (out of 38)
- OLine: #24
- DLine: #6
- LBs (includes the Venable position): #24
- Dbacks: #22
- STs: #32
Seems pretty reasonable to me, all around.
Boise State individual ratings
- Kellen Moore: 3rd Team All American (behind Landry Jones and Andrew Luck); #8 overall QB; First Team MWC QB; #4 Heisman candidate.
- Doug Martin: #9 overall RB; First Team MWC RB; Possible Heisman Candidate.
- Tyler Shoemaker: First Team MWC WR
- Kyle Efaw: #32 overall TE; 3rd Team MWC TE
- Thomas Byrd: #25 overall C; 1st Team MWC C
- Joe Kellogg: #40 overall G; 2nd Team MWC G
- Nate Potter: 1st Team All American; #2 overall T; 1st Team MWC T
- Shea McClellin: #23 overall DE; 1st Team MWC DE
- Tyrone Crawford: 4th Team MWC DE
- Billy Winn: 2nd Team All American; #4 overall DT; 1st Team MWC DT
- Chase Baker: 2nd Team MWC DT
- Byron Hout: 3rd Team MWC LB
- Aaron Tevis: 3rd Team MWC LB
- Hunter White: 3rd Team MWC LB
- Jamar Taylor: 3rd Team MWC CB
- George Iloka: #9 overall FS; 1st Team MWC S
- Jeremy Ioane: 3rd team MWC S
- Chris Potter: #18 PR; 1st Team MWC PR
- Mitch Burroughs: 4th Team MWC PR
A thing to keep in mind about this: Steele's overall individual rankings are heavily influenced by where he thinks people will be drafted. Hence Moore's low rating. Steele's All-Americans are heavily influenced by how he thinks the team will do. Hence Landry Jones' 1st team All-American ranking. His position rankings are his purest quality rankings. This is why BSU is #2 in QB rankings (behind Andrew Luck and Stanford), and why BSU has decent rankings for DBs, LBs etc; even though they don't have much in the way of overall individual rankings.