The men's Bronco Basketball against Vandals was entertaining, exciting, and frustrating. We Won, so that is outstanding! Looked to me like we should have beaten the Vandals by several more baskets, but I know nothing. Which is why I'm turning to OBNUG basketballers to help me comprehend, if that is even possible. This is the 2nd game I have attended, but the first was after our football game and my brain had checked out and gone to bed. This game I was actually taking notes.
1) One of our guys (23?) kept getting personal fouls against him. Seems like he had 5. So he ends up sitting out the rest of the game. Why would a guy foul himself out of the game? Why didn't the coaches pull him sooner?
1a) How many team fouls are allowed, and what are the consequences for exceeding? I believe we ended up with 9 and Vandals with 6, but it was so exciting at the end that I lost track.
2) Somebody kept fouling Vandal #10. That guy was making baskets practically backhanded. Why foul someone who consistently makes his freethrows? And our guys really struggled making free throws, so it sort of made sense for the Vandals to foul us.
3) Why are there 8 1/2 guys in suits out there? (the half is a tie guy without a jacket). How many coaches does it take to keep 5 athletes performing well?
1) #11 was terrific and fun to watch.
2) #3 was awesome from the corner especially, and out in space and under pressure. He made one basket running backwards and threw with only one foot on the floor. Amazing basketmaker. (So how come he missed free throws? Totally different skills? and why did he keep putting his hands down the front of his pants? Patterson would have been a hapless second in an odd pant maneuver contest)
3) Looked like the Vandals were scrappier, more grabby on the floor under the net.
4) Why is the masked crusader allowed to go berserk behind the opponent's basket? (I sincerely hope he is not a Nugger) It doesn't seem fair to me, nor does it make a stunning example of Bronco fan behavior. How did he get seats down on the floor so close in, anyway? And to have your son bare his chest is weird, imo. Now watch. I will have offended Drew/Kevan's brother or something. BTW, the Vandal fans appeared to behave well. Applause to them, seriously.
If you can explain the strategy behind fouls and/or address my other befuddlements, I would appreciate any help. Seems to me fouls should be called "Stops", if so many are encouraged. Thanks!