I will speculate on and post everything that everyone is already thinking and wants to post but won't because they don't want to look stupid. I, on the other hand, don't care if I look stupid because none of you will ever know the real me. Isn't internet anonymity great? :) So, with that said, let's begin. This is my latest speculation on how Boise State gets an invite to the Big 12. Well, I guess that makes it more of a fantasy than a speculation because it will never happen. Let's call it my ultimate realignment fantasy. Because who doesn't ever want to just have a little fun speculating and fantasizing?
1) The Big East, expecting Navy to join at some point, extends just one more school in Temple. Assuming Navy joins, this will give the conference twelve schools in 2014/15.
2) With the loss of Temple, the MAC is now at thirteen (UMass joined in 2012/13). The MAC, seeking to remain regional, invites Marshall of CUSA.
3) MWC and CUSA now have a total of sixteen schools between them and decide to move forward with a true conference merger in all sports.
4) Hawaii, citing the travel concerns in the new nationwide conference, desires to return to the WAC.
5) The MWCUSA trades Hawaii to the WAC for LaTech.
6) The courts rule in favor of the Big East, forcing WVU (and by default all current Big East schools) to remain in the Big East through the 2013/14 season.
7) The ACC, being in no hurry to expand, is willing to wait for Pitt and Syracuse. But the Big 12 wants and needs at least ten schools for 2012/13 and 2013/14. Unwilling to wait two more seasons the Big 12 pulls its invite from WVU and looks elsewhere. By some miracle the Big 12 decides to expand to 12 schools and invites Air Force, BYU, and Boise State. All accept. (Boise State can go in 2013/14 because, like TCU, they never played a game in the Big East.)
8) The losses of Air Force, Hawaii, Boise State, and SDSU from the MWC, plus the thought of a MWCUSA merger cause Nevada and Fresno State to return to the WAC, along with UNLV.
10) SDSU is now all alone on the west coast and leaves the Big East for the WAC, due the weakened MWC.
11) The Big East invites ECU and Memphis from the MWCUSA.
12) The MWC is left with only Colorado State, Wyoming, and New Mexico. None of which is desirable by the CUSA.
13) The MWCUSA merger dies as CUSA invites SunBelt schools as replacements.
14) Colorado State, Wyoming, and New Mexico accept invites to the WAC.
15) The SunBelt and MWC die.
15) The WAC survives.
16) Boise State is in the Big 12.
Yeah, right. I wish.