Boise State and New Mexico play Saturday (4:00 p.m. MT, The Mtn) in what will be the final home game for 21 BSU seniors. Bronco Stadium will be a buzzsaw of emotion. Fans will be verklempt. Someone will upload the whole thing to YouTube and set it to the tune of "Bittersweet Symphony" by Verb Pipe. It will be sad, strange times.
One reason for all the emotion is that Bronco Nation can hardly imagine what life will be like without a group of players that fans have grown to know and love. So to prepare you for the future, I put together a proposed Bronco depth chart, sans seniors. Check it out after the jump, and add your thoughts and feelings in the comments.
Bold = Returning starter
Italics = New starter
||Jay Ajayi OR
|Jimmy Laughrea OR
|Mitch Burroughs||Matt Miller||
||Geraldo Boldewijn||Chris Potter||Kyle Sosnowski
||Dallas Burroughs||Holden Huff
||Joe Kellogg||Cory Yriarte
||Spencer Gerke||Matt Paradis
||Brenel Myers||Michael Ames|
||Jeremy Ioane||Taylor Loffler
|Dan Goodale OR||Trevor Harman||
|Michael Frisina OR
|Jake Van Ginkel|
|Mitch Burroughs||Mitch Burroughs|
|Dallas Burroughs||Chris Potter|
The good news ...
- Four of the five Boise State lineman will be returning starters. I lumped Cory Yriarte and Jake Broyles into this group since both guys started several games this year. Broyles suffered a season-ending injury early on, and Yriarte subbed for Thomas Byrd for the better half of the season.
- The skill positions aren't as bad as you think. Assuming quarterback is not a skill, that is.
- Boise State will have two of the best corners in the West.
The bad news ...
- Those two corners are the only defensive starters to return. Technically, Jonathan Brown, J.C. Percy, and Tommy Smith have been co-starters at their respective positions all season, but the majority of the starts went to Hunter White, Aaron Tevis, and Byron Hout - all of whom will be gonzo.
- Quarterback derby.
- Open tryouts at defensive end. Bring your cleats and a permission slip.
What do you think about Boise State's future depth chart? What positions give you the greatest hope? What positions give you the greatest ulcers? Share your thoughts in the comments.