We are t-minus Thanksgiving and Black Friday away from Boise State's showdown with Wyoming, and to get us all up to speed on those brown-and-yellow bad guys from Laramie, I've enlisted the help of SB Nation's Wyoming blogger Matt to give us the inside dirt on his beloved Cowboys.
Join me after the jump for a question-and-answer session with Wyoming Matt and visit his SBN blog at Cowboy Altitude for all the latest news and info on UW. Hey, you might even see a blog bet over there next week. Fingers crossed.
Cowboy Altitude is a dear Internet friend of OBNUG and one of the finest Mountain West blogs available. If there is anything you have ever wanted to know about Wyoming sports, Cowboy Altitude has what you need, plus Colorado State jokes. And who doesn't love a good Colorado State joke?
1. Describe your team's season-to-date as if you were pitching a movie. Make me emotionally invested.
A rookie officer lands his first job, and it is one of the toughest neighborhoods in the city. No one gives him or that area any shot at improving themselves. There are some close calls, blood, sweat, and tears, but slowly things start turning around. Eventually the neighborhood roughs buy into the message of the rookie officer and everyone comes together to plant a community garden and paint colorful murals over graffiti. A large group song and dance routine with everyone arm in arm closes out the movie.
Ed's note: Sister Act, but with cops?
2. If Boise State could pick one player from your team to come play with them, who would it be? If you could pick one Boise State player to go play for your team, who would it be? Explain.
Gabe Knapton has been great at defensive end this year for Wyoming with six sacks and 66 total tackles. I know Boise has some great defensive ends, but Knapton has a shaved head and monster beard.
I would love to have a monster defensive tackle like Billy Winn. The Pokes have a decent rotation happening at tackle but don't really have a beast in the middle like Winn.
3. Pretend that your team is a collection of bowl games. What part is the Rose Bowl (strength) and what part is the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (weakness)?
Our offense has certainly been the biggest surprise of this year. Obviously Brett Smith is having a great year, but the other big difference has been the play calling of OC Gregg Brandon. There are a ton more wrinkles in our offense this year.
Our weakness has to be rush defense where we're allowing 229 yards per game. Ronnie Hillman, Robert Turbin, Rex Burkhead, and the TCU trio have all had big games against us.
4. Name three keys to victory for your team. Name one key to certain defeat.
Keys to victory!
- Win the turnover battle. Wyoming is +15 overall or +1.5 turnovers per game. Have to keep that up to keep this game close.
- Attack the beat up Boise secondary.
- Force Boise to kick field goals. Salt meet wound.
Key to defeat :(
Miss tackles. Can't give up extra yards on small plays and let them turn into big gains.
5. On a scale of fast food restaurants, with Taco Bell being not at all and Dairy Queen being supremely, how confident are you that your team will win on Saturday?
I'd say we're somewhere in the realm of quality Taco restaurants. Del Taco has the Big Fat Chicken taco which is amazing, Taco Del Mar has the Mondo Burrito and Taco Johns has Potato Oles!
The blog bet
As part of my mission to make the Internet a better place, each week I propose a blog bet to an opposing blogger where the winning team's blog gets a free post on the losing team's blog. It's like how mayors wager local goods and services on big games, only nerdier.
Cowboy Altitude has agreed to the bet, so this time next week, you will either get to chuckle in delight at my immature ramblings at the Cowboy Altitude blog or mourn in despair at Cowboy Altitude's post-win musings on OBNUG.
Good luck to Cowboy Altitude and the Wyoming football team, and I do not mean that at all.
How do you feel after hearing a Cowboy fan's assessment of the game? Think there's a way that Boise State can win on Saturday without winning the turnover battle? What do Potato Oles even taste like? Share your thoughts in the comments.