Pardon the Boise State football interruption, but there's some basketball news to share. Boise State hosts Utah tonight at Taco Bell Arena. And yes, I mean the real Utah. Not Southern Utah or Eastern Utah or Utah School of Mines. We're talking the real, live Utah Utes of the Pac-12 conference.
Tip-off is at 6:00 p.m. MT, and to get you ready for some Bronco basketball, here is some info on one of BSU's most anticipated games of the year.
1. The game is being broadcast on The Mtn. television channel, which I hear exists in some people's homes. Hooray!
2. Boise State could actually win this game. Utah lost its exhibition opener, 61-60, to Adams State. The Utes bareley beat San Diego Christian College, 58-55, on Monday night in the season opener. Utah has 13 newcomers on its roster.
3. Former Idaho Stampede head coach Larry Krystkowiak is the first-year head coach for the Utes. It's not exactly Nick Saban returning to LSU, but it's something.
4. Boise State looked excellent in its season opening win over Colorado Christian. True freshman guard Derrick Marks had 20 points on 8-for-8 shooting, including - and I am contractually obligated to mention this - a dunk.
5. The last time Boise State and Utah met (edit: in Boise) was in a 1987 NIT that Utah fans fondly remember as the one where Bronco fans were visibly shaking the basket while a Utah player attempted game-winning free throws. He missed both free throws, by the way, and the Broncos won. Bonus points if you can name the Broncos' head coach at the time.
Are you going to the game tonight? Watching on TV? Ironing your Kellen Moore jersey instead? How do you feel about Boise State's chances? Share your thoughts in the comments.