Wow, the stadium was really rocking for this one. I hope we can get that kind of effort more consistently as we move forward. The OBNUG tailgate was terrific, thanks Crissie and Scot. It was great to see hatemay, Bleedingin wyoming, The OBNUG Intern, and the Storm Trooperettes out there.
Some things I noticed...
- Our crowd can get really loud when it wants to. On 3rd down during our Goal Line stand I heard the octave change 3 times as the crowd got louder and louder. It was clear we, as the 12th man, were having a direct impact on the game as there were several miscomms and timeouts by the Wolfpack. You could see our defense really feed off the energy to as they got several stops after morale crushing penalty flags.
- Although I think our OL needs to sustain their blocks more, I am convinced it is the lack of a deep threat that is the overriding factor in lack of a strong run game right now. Unfortunately we did not complete the passes, but Nevada bit ridiculously hard on two of our playfakes today and our WR was wide open both times. We NEED that play to work. Playaction is the killshot to a defense that is crowding the LoS and that is what every defense we have faced this year has done...ALL..GAME...LONG.
- I saw more commitment to running the ball this game and I think it paid off. Nevada's D had their hands on their hips, sucking wind at the end of the 2nd qtr.
- I don't think there's anything wrong w/ our kickers except the fact they are young, nervous, and inexperienced. I really feltCoach Pete bailed on them too quickly and was happy to see our kicker get a shot today and deliver.
- I didn't really track him all game but since our D had a strong overall performance I'd say QEB probably had a good game in the place of the injured Gavins. I think we are proving to everyone who cares to notice that we are much deeper than so many people assume.
- Can't stress the crowd noise enough...it really does make a difference. We don't have to yell inappropriate things at the visiting team and be jerks or anything, but we do have to be loud and leave our own team with no doubts that we are behind them even when the chips are down.