I blame myself. I have been pricing tickets to Glendale and Pasadena. I have been saying, worst case scenario a Rose Bowl berth. I was wrong. I asked my Mom for a Southwest airlines gift certificate for X-mas so I can purchase airfare for BSU's bowl game. I was wrong. My Mom was the first kick while down assailant. She sent a text, and I quote, do you want a gas card to the Humanitarian Bowl instead of an airline gift certificate? Man, that hurt. Forde tweeted, Bus---ted in Reno. Man, that hurt worse. I choose to skip ESPN for the next few days, what is worse, a recap of tonight or no mention at all. Like this season never happened to the World Wide Leader....off to the MWC and obscurity? I am in pain but my guess is it is nothing compared to my beloved Broncos...they remain classy as shall I, and with that a few thoughts on why and how we lost.
1) Alabama syndrome. We were up 24-7 at the half and lost. That tells you that Brotzman can't be #1. We didn't run the ball enough in the 2nd half and for the first time all year our D-line didn't dominate. We choked, as hard as that is to say. I didn't have a problem calling 'bama chokers so I got to say it here. Nevada dominated the 2nd half...hate to say it but it happened.
2) Kicking...plenty of people will say it much more colorfully than me. 26 yards for the win has to be true, you got to make that kick. BSU didn't deserve to win but Brotzman should have bailed us out!
3) Brandon Thompson. He is the guy that needed to cover #15 (Mathews) and couldn't. I don't actually blame him. It was obvious from the outset that he was over matched. He needed help and we didn't make any adjustments to give it to him. Not sure of the answer but #15 killed us tonight.
4) Keap didn't need to pass. I can't tell you how much twitter wanted 11 in the box tonight. Any time we forced Nevada to throw the ball it was a high percentage play for BSU. We didn't do nearly enough of that...
5) Nevada did what they needed to do. Nevada believed they were going to win and they did. bad calls by the refs (no call PI on Young and the catch interference) aside, Nevada won the damn game. Congrats Wolf Pack and go BSU!
Let's rally and sell-out the Utah State game, our players deserve a good showing from Bronco Nation. I will be there, hope to make my first OBNUG tailgate appearance. This year meant too much to me to let one poor showing define our season...oh yeah, go TCU. Go Oregon State and go S.C. Gamecocks, the BCS STILL SUCKS!!!!