Pick 'Em Contest
Welcome to Week One of OBNUG's Pick 'Em Contest, presented by Baja Fresh.
As Kevan mentioned this past weekend, you OBNUG readers have a chance to best me, the great savant Nick (I'm pretty sure I can refer to myself as that after the slaughtering I put on Phil Dailey last year), in a weekly pick 'em contest. It'll be a lot like Vegas, minus the regrets and plus free Baja Fresh food.
Join me after the jump for the official rules on how this will play out as well as this week's games.
OBNUG Pick 'Em Rules
Since none of the major sites that handle college pick' em groups allow customizable picks, we are going to have to do this the old fashioned way. In the comments. Here is how this will work:
- I will post a list of games each week. This will include the WAC games and some additional national games of interest.
- We will be doing this against the spread. This is exponentially more fun since we will be picking WAC games. Get used to 20+ point spreads! Also, the spread I post will be the spread we use. I won't be adjusting it if everyone picks Boise State.
What's a spread? It's Vegas' way of evening out the betting on each game. For instance, if you see Idaho at (-72) Boise State and you pick the Broncos to win, BSU will have to beat the Vandals by at least 72 points for you to be correct. Other questions? Try wikipedia.
- Make your picks by leaving a comment. If you need to correct your picks, reply to your comment. Since I'll be tracking this manually (for now), the official Pick' Em Contest thread will only contain comments with picks. Any other comments will be deleted.
- The deadline will be posted each week, most likely at game time of the earliest game. Any picks with a time stamp after the deadline will not count.
- Prizes will be awarded on a week-by-week basis. Don't sweat it if you miss a week although prizes will be handed out to the overall leader at the end of the year. We haven't exactly worked this out, but I'm going to say best winning percentage with at least 90% of the games picked.
- There will be a tiebreaker each week. This will be a guess of the total points of a specified game. This will be the Boise State game unless they are off.
This Week's Games
- #13 Georgia at (-5.5) #9 Oklahoma State
- (-6.5) #5 Alabama at #7 Virginia Tech
- #20 BYU at (-21.5) #3 Oklahoma
- Utah State at (-20.5) #19 Utah
- San Jose State at (-34) #4 USC
- Nevada at (-14.5) #23 Notre Dame
- Louisiana Tech at (-13) Auburn
- Idaho at (-3) New Mexico State
- #16 Oregon at (-4) #14 Boise State
And the Tiebreaker:
- Total points scored in the Oregon-Boise State game