While my fellow 'Nuggies were partying with Tostitos products and moving out of Doug Martin's path, I was way east and a little south in Champaign for the BSU basketball game. And although the Broncos lost 84-77, they showed that blue collar BSU football attitude in their quest to beat a soon to be top 25 team.
A Few Good Things I Witnessed
- Anthony Thomas is a gamer- Whenever the Broncos were in a slump, A.T. got the job done
- Robert Arnold can play- He was a big bright spot in the first half when the Broncos only trailed by 4.
- The team can break- Fastbreak points kept the Broncos in it all night, good defense by La'Shard Anderson and Arnold really boosted the Broncos.
- Too many turnovers. The Broncos came close a few times, but the team needs to take better care of the rock.
- Bad Passing. The Broncos had a couple 3 v. 1 breaks and couldn't capitalize, and 3 pt shooters were wide open until a low pass stopped the rythem.
- Paul Noonan's confidence- missed one 3 and refused to shot the rest of the night- It's hard to knock off a good team when your best 3 pt shooter wont let some go.
- Perimeter D- The Illini have good shooters( D.J. Richardson is not human) and the Broncos failed to show effort in guarding shooters
One thing to take away from this game
- The Broncos showed they can hang with a top 25 team, now they need to show that in WAC play to gain a NCAA tourney spot
A few stats and notes: Leaders: Pts/Reb- Okoye( 20/9 ) Asst- Arnold( 4 ) Illinois fans were nice and couldn't help but ask about the blue turf, and couldn't seem to realize why I love the Broncos, or why I was rooting for Texas. Big Ten country has it so easy.